Sunday 5 August 2012

Your new favourite band

It's a rare thing that you go to see a band and immediately feel the overwhelming need to purchase their album. I can count on one hand the amount of times it's happened to me (see: Local Natives, Golden Silvers).

A few months ago my friend had a +1 for Alt-J at The Africa Centre. I had no idea who the band was but always enjoy live music and largely just went to catch up with her. I didn't know it then but I was in for a treat. I was immediately drawn in by the singer's warm yet vulnerable voice and by the time a spotlight hit the choir hiding in darkness on the balcony above us waiting to chime in, I was hooked.

Someone conveniently captured that exact moment on camera here:

This four-piece band from Cambridge is captivating and unusual with fresh, clever references ranging from lyrics about geometry (alt-j being the Mac shortcut for ∆) to a capella to song Taro's Bollywood vibe. If you somehow haven't already heard their first single 'Breezeblocks' or new offering 'Tessellate' each played 8 times a day on Radio 1, I strongly recommend you check both out now. Their album, An Awesome Wave, truly does not disappoint and is packed with song after song that feels jump-up-and-down-exciting yet somehow soothing at the same time.

You can buy the album here. Check out some of my favourite tracks below:









No comments:

Post a Comment